Tell Congress to pass ENDA!
The Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), which would ban discrimination against LGBT workers, has a record number of co-sponsors in the House. Yet, despite its broad support, our allies in Congress have yet to even put ENDA on the agenda!
Midterm elections are just around the corner, and the next Congress is expected to be more hostile to LGBT equality. We must act now before we lose this window of opportunity to pass ENDA.
That’s why we need you to contact your senators today. Right now, your representatives are at home for the summer recess, and visiting them in person can make all the difference in educating them about the importance of passing ENDA without delay. Let them know:
- The LGBT community is the only group in the country that it’s legal to discriminate against: In 29 states, it is still legal to fire a worker for being lesbian, gay or bisexual. And in 38 states, a person can be fired just for being transgender.
- ENDA is a jobs bill: The current recession only compounds the devastating financial insecurity LGBT people live with all the time. ENDA offers economic justice — and economic security.
- ENDA has broad support: We’ve secured more cosponsors for ENDA than any other LGBT legislation in U.S. history with 202 in the House and 45 in the Senate. There is no excuse for Congress to delay this sensible and necessary legislation any longer.
Here’s how you can help:
- First, visit your senators while they’re home for recess or call the Capitol switchboard at 202.224.3121 and leave a message with their staff. Either way, make sure they know why we must pass ENDA now.
- Then, after you’ve contacted your senators, tell us your story by clicking here. When activists like you share your experiences from the field, we can learn from each other and build our power.
It’s time to make discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity part of our nation’s history.
Don’t wait. Contact your senators today and tell them we must pass ENDA now.